The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of South Carolina. If you are a new resident in South Carolina , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the South Carolina DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a South Carolina DMV appointment?
- Contact the South Carolina DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some South Carolina DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The South Carolina DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to South Carolina DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all South Carolina driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and South Carolina residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in South Carolina , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid South Carolina driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in South Carolina taking walk-ins?
The South Carolina DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the South Carolina DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the South Carolina DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The South Carolina DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the South Carolina DMV
The South Carolina DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the South Carolina DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in South Carolina
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in South Carolina
- To obtain a REAL ID card in South Carolina , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a South Carolina driving licence or ID card, go to a South Carolina DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a South Carolina REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in South Carolina .
What to bring to your appointment at the South Carolina DMV
If you are applying for a South Carolina driving licence or a South Carolina traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your South Carolina DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in South Carolina , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
South Carolina DMV Appointments
The South Carolina DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: South Carolina DMV Appointment.
DMV South Carolina Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment South Carolina ?
The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment South Carolina ?
Valid South Carolina driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in South Carolina ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my South Carolina DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
South Carolina DMV Offices
- 15 Saluda Dam Rd, Greenville, SC 29611
- Phone DMV South Carolina: +18642411147
How do I schedule a SC DMV appointment?
- Visit http://scdmvonline.com/ to access the South Carolina DMV.
- You can also plan your DMV South Carolina appointment at scdmvonline.com/Schedule-Appointment.
- Online Services, Real ID, ID licensing, business licensing, testing, and forms are all options.
What time does the DMV open up in South Carolina?
8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–1 p.m. Saturday
What do I need to get a SC drivers license?
- Identification, US citizenship, and date of birth are all required.
- Proof of your current physical SC address (two proofs of your current physical SC address are required for a REAL ID driver’s license or ID card)
- History of legal name changes (if applicable)
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
Online appointments are available for the following services:
- N.C. REAL ID
- License renewal
- Driver license duplicate/replacement
- First time North Carolina driver license
- ID cards
Does SCDMV require an appointment?
The new appointment system goes into effect on April 6, 2020, and all SCDMV customers who wish to do business in person must make an appointment first.
How do I contact SCDMV?
Call 803-896-5000 for the quickest response to your specific driver or car transaction. On Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, the SCDMV Contact Center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. On Wednesdays, it’s open from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
When can you get your license in SC?
Standard Driver’s License: If you are at least 17 years old and have held a learner’s permit for at least 180 days, you are eligible for a regular driver’s license with no restrictions. Even if you are 17, your parents must still sign the application.
What time is the DMV least busy?
Avoid holidays by going to the DMV on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday in the middle of the month. Make sure you’re not within an hour of when the DMV opens or closes by going before 11:00 a.m. or after 2:00 p.m.
How do I register my car in SC?
- A completed Certificate of Title and Registration Application for a Motor Vehicle or Manufactured Home/Mobile Home (Form 400).
- Your automobile insurance company’s name.
- Vehicle property tax receipt with payment.
What happens if you get caught driving with a permit by yourself in SC?
Driving without a license is against the law, and if you’re discovered with a permit, you might face a fine, an infraction on your driving record, and your vehicle could be seized.
How late can you drive with a restricted license in SC?
The licenses are subject to the same conditions and limitations. Applicants for a Conditional or Restricted License must have completed driver education and practice, as well as passed vision and driving skills examinations. Between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., license holders may drive unattended (or 8PM during Daylight Savings Time).