The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Kentucky. If you are a new resident in Kentucky , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Kentucky DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Kentucky DMV appointment?
- Contact the Kentucky DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Kentucky DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Kentucky DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Kentucky DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Kentucky driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Kentucky residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Kentucky , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Kentucky driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Kentucky taking walk-ins?
The Kentucky DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Kentucky DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Kentucky DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Kentucky DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Kentucky DMV
The Kentucky DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Kentucky DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Kentucky
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Kentucky
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Kentucky , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Kentucky driving licence or ID card, go to a Kentucky DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Kentucky REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Kentucky .
What to bring to your appointment at the Kentucky DMV
If you are applying for a Kentucky driving licence or a Kentucky traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Kentucky DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Kentucky , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Kentucky DMV Appointments
The Kentucky DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Kentucky DMV Appointment.
DMV Kentucky Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Kentucky ?
The Kentucky Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Kentucky ?
Valid Kentucky driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Kentucky ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Kentucky DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Kentucky DMV Offices
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
- 120 State Street
- Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
- DMV hours Vermont appointments: Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.
- Email: email
- Phone: 82828-2000
- Toll-free number: 888 99-VERMONT (888998-3766)
How do I make an appointment at my local DMV?
California dmv appointments can also be scheduled by phoning the DMV’s automated call service at (800) 777-0133, which is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Do I need an appointment to get a REAL ID in KY?
It is strongly advised to schedule an appointment in advance online. Kentucky residents can visit any of the venues Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. In Kentucky, there are 15 locations that accept appointments and some walk-ins.
Do you have to make an appointment to get your permit in Kentucky?
To take the test, you must make a phone appointment. Please click here for a list of counties that currently provide permit testing as well as contact information. There’s a list of open test locations there, as well as the phone number for the KSP Drivers Test Administrator or clerk at each one.
Can you get a Kentucky ID online?
You can renew your driver’s license or ID card online, by mail, or in person at any Driver Licensing Regional office.
Can you get a KY REAL ID online?
You will be given the same card version as before (i.e., you cannot request a REAL ID if you have a standard license). Only certain license or ID card renewals are available online. At this moment, license or ID card replacements (lost/stolen) are not accepted online.
How do I get a Kentucky state ID?
One proof of Kentucky residency, one proof of identification, and one proof of Social Security number are required for ordinary licenses. Two documents verifying Kentucky domicile, one evidence of identification, and one proof of Social Security number are required for the travel ID.
Where can I get a REAL ID driver’s license in Kentucky?
Residents of Kentucky can go to the KYTC REAL ID Regional Driver’s Licensing Office in Madisonville, which is situated at 56 Federal Place. Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., the office is open.
How much does a Kentucky driver’s permit cost?
Your Kentucky learner’s permit will cost you $10. In addition to passing your vision and knowledge tests, giving proof of identification, and demonstrating Kentucky residency, if you are under the age of 18, you must obtain parental approval.
How long does it take to get a REAL ID in Kentucky?
REAL ID cards will be mailed to you within 10-15 business days of your application. A driver’s license issuing agent will take the applicant’s current driver’s license, hole punch it, and return it to them along with a temporary document that they can use to drive, vote, and buy things for up to 30 days.