The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Illinois . If you are a new resident in Illinois , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Illinois DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
Illinois DMV same day appointment
Here are the steps to get an Illinois DMV same day appointment:
- Check if your local DMV office offers same day appointments. Not all locations do. You can call the office directly to confirm.
- Have your documents ready. You’ll need things like your social security number, proof of residency, and vehicle registration (if applicable).
- Check the Illinois DMV website for available same day appointments. Some locations allow you to book online.
- If you can’t book online, call the DMV office directly and ask to schedule a same day appointment. Explain the urgency and they may be able to squeeze you in.
- When you arrive for your appointment, be prepared to wait. Same day appointments tend to get backed up so there may be longer wait times. Come prepared with things to keep you occupied.
- Bring exact change or a debit/credit card. Same day appointments often don’t allow for checks so come ready to pay the fees.
- Double check that you have all required documents before your appointment to minimize delays. Completing any needed forms ahead of time can also help speed things along.
How do I book a Illinois DMV appointment?
- Contact the Illinois DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Illinois DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Illinois DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Illinois DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Illinois driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Illinois residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Illinois , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Illinois driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Illinois taking walk-ins?
The Illinois DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Illinois DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Illinois DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Illinois DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Illinois DMV
The Illinois DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Illinois DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Illinois
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Illinois
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Illinois , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Illinois driving licence or ID card, go to a Illinois DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Illinois REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Illinois .
What to bring to your appointment at the Illinois DMV
If you are applying for a Illinois driving licence or a Illinois traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Illinois DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Illinois , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Illinois DMV Appointments
The Illinois DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Illinois DMV Appointment.
DMV Illinois Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Illinois ?
The Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Illinois ?
Valid Illinois driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Illinois ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Illinois DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Illinois DMV Offices
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
- 120 State Street
- Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
- DMV hours Vermont appointments: Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.
- Email: email
- Phone: 844-817-4649.
- Toll-free number: 888 99-VERMONT (888998-3766)
Is Illinois DMV by appointment only?
Because it is now appointment only at select locations, check the Illinois Secretary of State’s website. (CBS) CHICAGO — Do you need to renew your Illinois driver’s license or identification card? Always check the website of the Secretary of State. Certain offices are now only open by appointment.
Can I walk into the DMV without an appointment Illinois?
Customers registering for or renewing REAL IDs, normal driver’s licenses and ID cards, and behind-the-wheel road tests at these locations will need to make an appointment, according to White’s office.
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
Some DMV facilities allow you to schedule an appointment. Check that you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may be unable to assist you with your transaction if you do not have all of the relevant paperwork. All available spaces are filled when the reservation system shows no reservations.
Can I schedule a DMV appointment online Illinois?
Visit https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/ to log in from the DMV of Illinois. Choose between Online Services, Driver’s License/ID, and Vehicle Registration, or make an appointment. You can arrange an appointment, take a test, renew your driver’s license or identification card, request a duplicate, make adjustments, or make payments.
Do I need an appointment to get a REAL ID in Illinois?
No, you must visit a Driver Services location and produce documentation authenticating your identity, Social Security number, residency, and signature in order to apply for a REAL ID DL/ID. If you qualify for the Safe Driver Renewal program and have a REAL ID DL/ID, you can renew it by mail or online.
Do seniors have to wait in line at the DMV in Illinois?
As a result, drivers aged 75 and above who have a 2020 driver’s license expiration date will not need to attend a facility to renew their license until soon before their birthday in 2021. Also, keep in mind that individuals 65 and older receive «priority» service and can skip the line.
How do I get my license in Illinois?
Visit a Secretary of State facility and have your picture taken.
All valid out-of-state driver’s licenses, state ID cards, instruction permits, and commercial driver’s licenses must be surrendered.
Pay the required fee.
Can I go to any DMV in Illinois?
Only if you are becoming a legal resident of Illinois can you receive an Illinois driver’s license or identity card. You may drive in Illinois for the duration of your stay if you have a valid driver’s license from another state or nation (if you do not plan to become a permanent resident of this state).
Can you make an appointment to renew your driver’s license in Illinois?
The Driver Services Facility Appointment System allows you to book your visit for Illinois driver’s license and state ID card services up to 10 business days in advance at chosen Secretary of State sites. Vehicle transfers cannot be scheduled in advance.
Can I renew my Illinois drivers license online?
The PIN or Renewal Authorization Number was included in your renewal mail. A written exam or a road test are not required for renewal. You do not need to submit an updated medical and/or vision report for your renewal.
How do I register a vehicle in Illinois?
Fill out form and submit it to your local Illinois Secretary of State office if you need to register a car in Illinois. You can start your paperwork through the Electronic Registration and Title System, then print it out and bring it to your local office within a week.
How do I transfer title on a car in Illinois?
The Secretary of State’s offices in Illinois handle car title transfers. A VSD-190 vehicle title transfer form and an RUT-50 tax form are required. They must be completely filled out before being accepted. These forms can be obtained from the Secretary of State’s office.
Is walk-in service available at the Illinois DMV?
Yes, walk-in service is available at most Illinois DMV offices. However, wait times for walk-ins can be lengthy, especially during busy periods. Appointments are recommended whenever possible.
What are the least busy days to visit the Illinois DMV?
Generally Tuesdays through Thursdays tend to be the least busy days. Avoid Mondays, Fridays, and the beginning of the month to minimize wait times.
Can appointments be made to obtain a REAL ID in Illinois?
Yes, appointments can be made to obtain a REAL ID at Illinois DMV offices. Making an appointment is recommended to avoid long wait times.
Where are REAL IDs issued in Illinois?
REAL IDs are issued at all Illinois Secretary of State Driver Services facilities. You can visit any facility in the state to obtain a REAL ID.
What documentation is required to obtain a REAL ID in Illinois?
You will need an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, Social Security card, and two documents as proof of Illinois residency with your current name and address.
How much does a REAL ID cost in Illinois? $30 for a first time REAL ID. Renewals are $5.
Is a passport needed in addition to other documents for a REAL ID in Illinois?
No, a passport is not required in addition to the other documentation needed for a REAL ID in Illinois.
How long does the ID issuance process take at the Illinois DMV?
The entire process of applying for a REAL ID, including gathering documents, making an appointment, and visiting the facility typically takes 1 to 2 hours. The actual time spent at the DMV office is usually 30-60 minutes.