The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Idaho . If you are a new resident in Idaho , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Idaho DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Idaho DMV appointment?
- Contact the Idaho DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Idaho DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Idaho DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Idaho DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Idaho driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Idaho residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Idaho , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Idaho driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Idaho taking walk-ins?
The Idaho DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Idaho DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Idaho DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Idaho DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Idaho DMV
The Idaho DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Idaho DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Idaho
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Idaho
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Idaho , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Idaho driving licence or ID card, go to a Idaho DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Idaho REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Idaho .
What to bring to your appointment at the Idaho DMV
If you are applying for a Idaho driving licence or a Idaho traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Idaho DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Idaho , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Idaho DMV Appointments
The Idaho DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Idaho DMV Appointment.
DMV Idaho Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Idaho ?
The Idaho Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Idaho ?
Valid Idaho driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Idaho ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Idaho DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
|COUNTY||CITY||ADDRESS||PHONE (208)||OFFICE HOURS|
|ADA||Boise Meridian||7200 Barrister 1769 N. Lakes Ave. Ste 100||577-3100 577-4700 ext. 0||8 am–5 pm, 8 am–5 pm|
|BOISE||Idaho City Horseshoe Bend||3851 Highway 21 383 Highway 55||392-6059 & 793-2262||9 am–noon, 1 pm–4:30 pm, 9 am–noon, 1 pm–5 pm|
|BONNER||Sandpoint Priest River||215 S First Ave 75 Eastside Road||265-1431 448-2816||8:30 am–5 pm 9 am–5 pm|
|ADAMS||Council||201 Industrial||253-4227||8 am–4:30 pm|
|BLAINE||Hailey||219 1st Avenue S #109||788-5565||9 am–5 pm|
|CASSIA||Burley||129 E 14th St||878-1108||8:30 am–4:30 pm|
|BANNOCK||Pocatello||624 E Center||236-7258||8 am–5 pm|
|CANYON||Caldwell||6618 Cleveland Blvd, Suite C||454-7487||8 am–6 pm|
|BEAR LAKE||Paris||50 N Main||945-2121||8:30 am–Noon 1 pm–4:30 pm|
|FRANKLIN||Preston||39 W Oneida||852-1234||9 am–5 pm|
|CUSTER||Challis||9th & Main||879-2232||8 am–4 pm|
|JEFFERSON||Rigby Mud Lake||219 E Fremont 1270 E 1500 N (Terreton)||745-9229 & 663-4567||9 am–5 pm, 10 am–4 pm (1st & 3rd Thursday)|
|ELMORE||Mountain Home||125 S 5th E||587-2119 ext. 124||8:30 am–4 pm|
|CAMAS||Fairfield||119 W Willow St||764-2261||8 am–5 pm|
|BENEWAH||St Maries||701 College Ave||245-2555||8:30 am–4:30 pm|
|BINGHAM||Blackfoot Shelley||501 N Maple 101 S Emerson||782-3041 357-3390||8:30 am–5 pm 8 am–4:30 pm|
|BONNEVILLE||Idaho Falls||605 N Capital||529-1350 ext. 1313||8 am–5 pm|
|BOUNDARY||Bonners Ferry||6438 Kootenai St||267-3152||9 am–4:30 pm|
|BUTTE||Arco||256 W Grand Ave||527-8553||9 am–5 pm|
|CARIBOU||Soda Springs||159 E 2nd S #2||547-0252||9 am–5 pm|
|CLARK||Dubois||Main St||374-5383||9 am–5 pm|
|CLEARWATER||Orofino||150 Michigan Ave||476-4521||8 am–5 pm|
|FREMONT||St Anthony||146 N 2nd W||624-4482||8 am–5 pm|
|GEM||Emmett||415 E Main||365-3524||7:30 am–5 pm|
|GOODING||Gooding||145 7th Ave East||934-4597||9 am–5 pm|
|Idaho||Grangeville||320 W Main||983-2217||8:30 am–1 pm, 2 pm–5 pm|
|JEROME||Jerome||300 N Lincoln Rm 208||324-8845||8:30 am–4:30 pm|
|KOOTENAI||Coeur D Alene||451 N Government Way||446-1340||7:30 am–5:30 pm|
|LATAH||Moscow||1420 S. Blaine; Suite 9B||883-7216||8 am–4:30 pm|
|LEMHI||Salmon||206 Courthouse Dr||756-2288 ext. 246||8 am–4:30 pm|
|LEWIS||Nez Perce||510 Oak||937-2447||9 am–Noon 1 pm–5 pm|
|LINCOLN||Shoshone||119 West A St||886-7755||8:30 am–4:30 pm|
|MADISON||Rexburg||145 E Main St||359-3281||8:30 am–5 pm|
|MINIDOKA||Rupert||724 H Street||434-2327||8:30 am–5 pm|
|NEZ PERCE||Lewiston||1221 F Street||799-3138||8 am–5 pm|
|ONEIDA||Malad||10 Court St||766-4116 ext. 7||9 am–5 pm|
|OWYHEE||Murphy, Marsing, Grandview||Courthouse 20381 State Hwy 78 425 Main City Hall ' Roosevelt||495-1154, 896-4122 ext. 1 & 834-3333||8:30 am–5 pm, 8:30 am–Noon 1 pm–4 pm Mon & Tue 8:30 am–12:30 pm 1:30 pm–4:30 pm, Wed 8 am–12:30 pm 1:30 pm–3:30 pm|
|PAYETTE||Payette||1130 3rd Ave N, Room 101||642-6003||9 am–5 pm|
|POWER||American Falls||550 Gifford Ave||226-2311||9 am–Noon 1 pm–4:45 pm|
|SHOSHONE||Wallace||717 Bank St||556-1114||9 am–4:30 pm|
|TETON||Driggs||89 N Main #7||354-2323||9 am–5 pm|
|TWIN FALLS||Twin Falls Buhl||260 4th Ave N 201 N Broadway||733-7610 ext. 20 543-8023||8 am–5 pm 8 am–4 pm|
|VALLEY||Cascade McCall||107 W Spring St 550 Deinhard Ln||382-7158 & 634-8102||8 am–4:30 pm, 8 am–Noon 1 pm–4:30 pm|
|Washington||Weiser||262 E Court||414-2565||9 am–1 pm & 2 pm–5:30 pm|
Idaho DMV Offices
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
- 120 State Street
- Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
- DMV hours Vermont appointments: Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.
- Email: email
- Phone: 82828-2000
- Toll-free number: 888 99-VERMONT (888998-3766)
Do you have to make an appointment for the DMV Boise Idaho?
At our 400 N. Benjamin Lane site in Boise and our 736 S. Washington Street location in Boise, Ada County Driver’s License Services offices are open by appointment only and do not provide walk-in service.
Can I register my car online Idaho?
You can now register your new car online. According to the Idaho Transportation Department, Idahoans can now save time at the Division of Motor Vehicles by registering their vehicles online.
Do I need an appointment for the Idaho Falls DMV?
Please note that visiting a state driver’s license office requires an appointment. DMV offices in Idaho may occasionally be overcrowded or inconvenient due to driving hours.
Is there a grace period for expired tags in Idaho?
Non-commercial vehicle registrations and driver’s licenses that expire between September and December 2020 now have until January 31, 2021 to renew, in an effort to cut wait times at county DMV offices.
Does Idaho DMV take walk ins?
Customers who plan appointments will receive priority under the new approach. However, both offices will continue to offer walk-in services.
Do I need an appointment for the Star Card in Idaho?
Additional documentation and an in-person visit to a county driver’s license office are required for the transaction. Idahoans are highly encouraged to use the «Add the Star» feature at itd.idaho.gov/starcard to learn what exact documents are required, as these requirements can vary depending on the individual’s situation.
What documents do I need to register my car in Idaho?
- completed Certificate of Title Application (Form ITD 3337).
- Inspection Certification for a Vehicle or Hull Identification Number (Form ITD 3403).
- An authorized agent at the county assessor’s office, a Transportation Department representative, or your local police enforcement can handle the inspection charge, which is $5.
- For automobiles under 10 years old and weighing less than 16,000 pounds, an odometer reading is necessary.
- Evidence of a current Idaho auto insurance policy
- A valid Idaho driver’s license or identification card is required.
- Payment of the $14 title fee and the 6% sales tax.
How do I register my car in Idaho?
After providing the appropriate documentation to a county assessor’s motor vehicle office, you can apply for vehicle registration right away. If you’re a new resident, you have 90 days to register and title your vehicle(s).
Can I make an appointment at the Idaho dmv?
While at the dealership, use QLESS to schedule an appointment for the earliest time period available. QLESS has been implemented to help cut DMV wait times. To make an appointment, download our new Qless app.
How do I register my out-of-state vehicle in Idaho?
- Out-of-state title with a completed application for a Certificate of Idaho Title.
- Identification proof is required.
- Proof of address.
- Fees must be paid.
How much will it cost to register my car in Idaho?
A car registration in Idaho normally costs between $45 and $220 each year.
DMV en otros estados
How do I transfer a car title in Idaho?
- The certificate of title…
- A completed Certificate of Title Application (Form ITD 3337)
- A detailed bill of sale…
- Inspection Certification for a Vehicle or Hull Identification Number (Form ITD 3403)
- Payment of the necessary fees.
What do I need to transfer my driver’s license to Idaho?
- completing an application
- Proof of identity, age, domicile, and Social Security Number or legal presence.
- Having your valid out-of-state driver’s license with you.
- Getting through an eye test.
- Passing the written examination.
- Paying the price for a driver’s license.