The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Florida . If you are a new resident in Florida , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Florida DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Florida DMV appointment?
- Contact the Florida DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Florida DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Florida DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Florida DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Florida driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Florida residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Florida , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Florida driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Florida taking walk-ins?
The Florida DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Florida DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Florida DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Florida DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Florida DMV
The Florida DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Florida DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Florida
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Florida
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Florida , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Florida driving licence or ID card, go to a Florida DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Florida REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Florida .
What to bring to your appointment at the Florida DMV
If you are applying for a Florida driving licence or a Florida traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Florida DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Florida , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Florida DMV Appointments
The Florida DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Florida DMV Appointment.
DMV Florida Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Florida ?
The Florida Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Florida ?
Valid Florida driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Florida ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Florida DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Florida DMV Offices
- Brandon – 3030 North Falkenburg Road, Tampa, Florida 33619
- East Tampa – 2814 E. Hillsborough Ave., Tampa, Florida 33610
- Plant City – 4706 Sydney Road, Plant City, Florida 33566
How long does it take to get an appointment at Florida DMV?
We can usually book you for an Express Appointment within 7-14 days of receiving your request, but it may take up to 14-21 days. We can’t say how long it will take to find an appointment because cancellations and last-minute availability differ per DMV.
Does Florida DMV require appointment?
Many offices demand appointments to receive assistance. Please visit their website or call for more information about Tax Collector Offices or License Plate Agents.
How do I get an appointment with the DMV in Florida?
Visit GoRenew.com or MyDMVPortal for online service. Welcome to the Online Appointment System for the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, which was created specifically for you, our client.
Are Florida DMV offices open yet?
Beginning June 3, the department declared that it would reopen offices by appointment only to serve the public. Appointments are also only offered to those who are unable to complete transactions through gorenew.com.
What proof of residency does DMV need Florida?
Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet, or residential rental/lease agreement are examples of residential address documents, as are Florida voter registration cards. Vehicle registration or title in the state of Florida (print a duplicate registration at MyDMV Portal);
What do I need to get a gold star on my driver’s license in Florida?
Visit an office and bring authentic documents that verify your identity, Social Security Number, and residence address to become REAL ID compliant. You will only need to produce the relevant identity documents again if your personal information changes.