The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Rhode Island. If you are a new resident in Rhode Island , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Rhode Island DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Rhode Island DMV appointment?
- Contact the Rhode Island DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Rhode Island DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Rhode Island DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Rhode Island DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Rhode Island driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Rhode Island residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Rhode Island , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Rhode Island driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Rhode Island taking walk-ins?
The Rhode Island DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Rhode Island DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Rhode Island DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Rhode Island DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Rhode Island DMV
The Rhode Island DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Rhode Island DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Rhode Island
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Rhode Island
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Rhode Island , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Rhode Island driving licence or ID card, go to a Rhode Island DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Rhode Island REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Rhode Island .
What to bring to your appointment at the Rhode Island DMV
If you are applying for a Rhode Island driving licence or a Rhode Island traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Rhode Island DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Rhode Island , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Rhode Island DMV Appointments
The Rhode Island DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Rhode Island DMV Appointment.
DMV Rhode Island Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Rhode Island ?
The Rhode Island Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Rhode Island ?
Valid Rhode Island driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Rhode Island ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Rhode Island DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Rhode Island DMV Offices
- Division of Motor Vehicles600 New London Avenue
- Cranston, RI 02920-3024
- Phone DMV Rhode Island: (401) 462-4368
How do I make a DMV appointment in RI?
Visit http://www.dmv.ri.gov/ to access DMV Rhode Island. Online Services, Real ID, ID Licensing, Business License, Testing, and Forms are all options. You can arrange an appointment, take a test, renew your driver’s license or identification card, request a duplicate, make adjustments, or make payments.
Do you need an appointment to go to the DMV in Rhode Island?
RESERVATIONS The Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles is presently only available via appointment. The Cranston, Woonsocket, Middletown, and Wakefield offices accept reservations. WALK-INS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
How do I talk to a person at the DMV in RI?
- Phone: (401) 462-4368 for further information.
- Phone: (401) 462-5710 Fax: (401) 462-5788 Accident Office
- Cashiers. Phone: (401) 462-5721.
- Phone: (401) 462-5813 Commercial Driver’s License 5. The Dealers Commission and its Rules.
- Office Locations and Directions
- Placards with disabilities.
How do I get my license in RI?
- Apply in person at the DMV headquarters in Cranston.
- Fill out the application form.
- Documentation is required.
- Examine your knowledge.
- Pay the price for the instructional permit.
- Obtain a learner’s permit.
- Make arrangements for your road test.
- Pay the cost for the road test.
Can I register my car online in RI?
You can execute a variety of transactions with the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) online from the convenience of your own home. Learn how to order a vanity plate, renew your vehicle registration, and get a copy of your certified driver record online.
How much does it cost to transfer registration in RI?
A signed and completed bill of sale. The title transfer charge and sales tax must both be paid. Without VAT, the title transfer fee is typically $51.50.
What do I need to get a real ID in RI?
Our website (www.dmv.ri.gov/realid/) lists the requirements for obtaining a REAL ID. One form of identification (such as a state-issued birth certificate or a valid Permanent Resident Card) and two evidence of R.I. residency are required (i.e. utility bill, bank statement).
When can you get your permit in RI?
Limited Instruction Permit (age 16 to 18): A Rhode Island drivers permit can be awarded to any Rhode Island citizen who is 16 but not 18 years old and has completed the Community College of Rhode Island’s 33-hour driving education course. Call CCRI at (401) 825-1214 for further information.
How long is RI registration good for?
Every two years, the state mandates you to renew your vehicle registration. It’s critical to renew your vehicle registration on time to prevent penalties and inconveniences while also ensuring that your driver’s license remains valid.
Can I renew my permit online in RI?
Your Rhode Island driver’s license can be renewed online with a credit card, at any DMV branch, or at a AAA branch (members only). Bring your current license and the License/ID/Permit Application to renew your Rhode Island driver’s license.