The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Pennsylvania. If you are a new resident in Pennsylvania , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Pennsylvania DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Pennsylvania DMV appointment?
- Contact the Pennsylvania DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Pennsylvania DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Pennsylvania DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Pennsylvania DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Pennsylvania driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Pennsylvania residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Pennsylvania , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Pennsylvania driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Pennsylvania taking walk-ins?
The Pennsylvania DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Pennsylvania DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Pennsylvania DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Pennsylvania DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Pennsylvania DMV
The Pennsylvania DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Pennsylvania DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Pennsylvania
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Pennsylvania
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Pennsylvania , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Pennsylvania driving licence or ID card, go to a Pennsylvania DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Pennsylvania REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Pennsylvania .
What to bring to your appointment at the Pennsylvania DMV
If you are applying for a Pennsylvania driving licence or a Pennsylvania traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Pennsylvania DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Pennsylvania , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Pennsylvania DMV Appointments
The Pennsylvania DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Pennsylvania DMV Appointment.
DMV Pennsylvania Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Pennsylvania ?
The Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Pennsylvania ?
Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Pennsylvania ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Pennsylvania DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Pennsylvania DMV Offices
- Division of Motor Vehicles600 New London Avenue
- Cranston, RI 02920-3024
- Phone DMV Rhode Island: (401) 462-4368
Can you make an appointment at the PA DMV?
To take the driver’s test, you will need to make an appointment. You can make an appointment online or by calling the Call Center at 1-717-412-5300.
Do I need to schedule an appointment for the DMV in PA?
No. There is no need to make an appointment. Simply visit your local Driver License Center.
Can I get my PA drivers license online?
Renewals of non-commercial driver’s licenses can be done online or by mail. Those who apply online at www.dmv.pa.gov should receive their new license in the mail within 15 days.
How do I speak to someone at PA DMV?
Our Driver and Vehicle Services Customer Call Center staff will gladly assist you if you need assistance with a specific PennDOT Driver License Center. For support, dial 1-800-932-4600.
Can I renew my PA driver’s license in person?
You can renew your Pennsylvania driver’s license by mail, online, or in person at a local on-line messenger facility. The criteria differ based on how the driver decides to renew their Pennsylvania driver’s license.
Can you renew your registration online after it expires in PA?
Before your registration expires, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation will send you a renewal notice. Residents have the option of renewing their registration in person, by mail, or online. Within 10 days after completing your registration, you will receive a registration card that you can use indefinitely.
Can you make an appointment at the Philadelphia DMV?
Everything You Need to Get Your Pennsylvania Driver’s License
- Application is complete.
- Examine your health.
- Identity Verification…
- Proof of Residency in Two Documents
- Passing Score on the Eye Exam…
- The Written Knowledge Test must be passed.
- (If you’re under the age of 18) 65 hours of driving practice
Do I need a camera card to renew my license pa 2022?
Residents in Pennsylvania can renew their driver’s license or picture ID card without having to renew their photo, according to the state Department of Transportation. Anyone renewing their card after May 10 will receive their new card with their existing photo, according to the agency.
What documents do I need to get a Pennsylvania driver’s license?
- The finished DL-180 (PDF)
- If under the age of 18, the completed DL-180TD (PDF)….
- Proof of identity is listed on the back of the DL-180 (PDF)….
- If you are 18 years of age or older, two acceptable proofs of residency are given on the opposite side of the DL-180 (PDF).
- You’ll need your Social Security card.