The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Massachusetts. If you are a new resident in Massachusetts , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Massachusetts DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Massachusetts DMV appointment?
- Contact the Massachusetts DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Massachusetts DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Massachusetts DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Massachusetts DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Massachusetts driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Massachusetts residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Massachusetts , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Massachusetts driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Massachusetts taking walk-ins?
The Massachusetts DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Massachusetts DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Massachusetts DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Massachusetts DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Massachusetts DMV
The Massachusetts DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Massachusetts DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Massachusetts
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Massachusetts
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Massachusetts , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Massachusetts driving licence or ID card, go to a Massachusetts DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Massachusetts REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Massachusetts .
What to bring to your appointment at the Massachusetts DMV
If you are applying for a Massachusetts driving licence or a Massachusetts traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Massachusetts DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Massachusetts , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Massachusetts DMV Appointments
The Massachusetts DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Massachusetts DMV Appointment.
DMV Massachusetts Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Massachusetts ?
The Massachusetts Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Massachusetts ?
Valid Massachusetts driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Massachusetts ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Massachusetts DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Massachusetts DMV Offices
- Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles RMV
- PO Box 55889, Boston, MA 02205
- RMV Massachusetts: Locations
How to request an appointment at RMV Massachusetts?
Visit mass.gov/orgs/massachusetts-registration-of-motor-vehicles to log in to the Massachusetts DMV.
Go to the DMV Massachusetts services page and select the service you want to use.
Do you need an appointment to go to the RMV in Massachusetts?
At the Service Center locations listed below, appointments will be available for all transaction types that cannot be completed online, by mail, or over the phone, as well as walk-in visits and B2B transactions. Our online service center allows you to execute more than 40 transactions.
How do I contact RMV mass?
- RMV Contact Center: 857-368-8000 (from MA area codes 339/617/781/857 or outside MA) or 800-858-3926 (from all other MA area codes) or email AskRMV@state.ma.us.
- Call 877-RMV-TTDD toll-free if you are deaf or hard of hearing (1-877-768-8833).
- Contact Information Center Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
Online appointments are available for the following services: Renewal of North Carolina REAL ID.
How long can you drive with an expired license in MA?
Even if your expiration date has passed, you can still renew your membership. You will have to retake the learner’s permit and driving test if you wait more than four (4) years after it expires. Driving with an expired license is against the law.
Is there a grace period for expired license in MA?
Before a $20 penalty fee is owed, all expired driver’s licenses have a grace period of 30 working days from the expiration date for renewal.
Can I renew my mass drivers license online?
Select your renewal transaction from the RMV’s Online Service Center, then follow the prompts to authenticate your identification and begin your transaction. Choose Standard Massachusetts driver’s license and finish your transaction online by following the directions.
Can you email the Mass RMV?
What is the fine for driving without a license in Massachusetts?
What are the Penalties in Massachusetts for Driving Without a License? Operating a vehicle without a valid license is a criminal offense in Massachusetts, with a fine of up to $500 (or $1000 if the license has been revoked) and possible jail.
How much does it cost to renew your license in Massachusetts?
The renewal of a driver’s license costs $50. The renewal of an ID card costs $25. Both a regular and REAL ID license or ID card cost the same amount.
How much is it to renew your registration in MA?
The two-year renewal fee for passenger automobiles, light trailers, and pickup trucks is $60. The two-year renewal fee for mopeds and motorcycles is $20. RVs and commercial trucks can be renewed for $50, with the cost increasing as the vehicle’s weight increases.