The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Louisiana. If you are a new resident in Louisiana , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Louisiana DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Louisiana DMV appointment?
- Contact the Louisiana DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Louisiana DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Louisiana DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Louisiana DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Louisiana driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Louisiana residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Louisiana , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Louisiana driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Louisiana taking walk-ins?
The Louisiana DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Louisiana DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Louisiana DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Louisiana DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Louisiana DMV
The Louisiana DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Louisiana DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Louisiana
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Louisiana
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Louisiana , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Louisiana driving licence or ID card, go to a Louisiana DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Louisiana REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Louisiana .
What to bring to your appointment at the Louisiana DMV
If you are applying for a Louisiana driving licence or a Louisiana traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Louisiana DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Louisiana , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Louisiana DMV Appointments
The Louisiana DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Louisiana DMV Appointment.
DMV Louisiana Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Louisiana ?
The Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Louisiana ?
Valid Louisiana driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Louisiana ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Louisiana DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Louisiana DMV Offices
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
- 120 State Street
- Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
- DMV hours Vermont appointments: Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.
- Email: email
- Phone: 82828-2000
- Toll-free number: 888 99-VERMONT (888998-3766)
Can I get a Louisiana driver’s license online?
The Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) has launched a form to its website that allows drivers to seek replacement credentials for their driver’s license or identification card. The state’s Duplicate Credential Request application is available online 24 hours a day, seven days a week at www.expresslane.org.
How do I call the DMV in Louisiana?
Contact: 225-925-6146 Commercial drivers licenses (CDLs), drivers’ licenses, vehicle registration, and titles are all handled by the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles.
Is LA DMV by appointment only?
If you are not kept informed, you may find yourself waiting with no idea what is going on. The new appointment-only services at their local Office of Motor Vehicles branch are convenient for residents. There are 26 Louisiana OMV branches that offer appointment options as of August 17, 2020.
How do I make an appointment at my local DMV?
California dmv appointments can also be scheduled by phoning the DMV’s automated call service at (800) 777-0133, which is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Can I renew my driver’s license online?
The department of transport has released a suite of online services on the RTMC’s https://online.natis.gov.za web platform, which was initially available in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape before being rolled out nationally.
How do I get a Louisiana driver’s license?
- Complete a pre-licensing or driver education course. The Department of Public Safety and Corrections must approve it.
- Please apply in person. Go to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (OMV).
- Documentation is required.
- Pass an eyesight examination.
- Pass a test of knowledge.
- Pass the road skills examination.
- Make the payment.
How much does it cost to get a driver’s license in Louisiana?
In Louisiana, a non-commercial driver’s license costs $32.25, plus a $6.00 service fee.
How much does a Louisiana driver’s license cost?
The standard licensing fee is $32.25 until you reach the age of 69. The licensing price for applicants aged 70 and up is $18.75. Service fee of $6.00 is available at some field offices. d.
Can I renew my Louisiana drivers license online?
To renew, you must go to an office. In compliance with Louisiana Revised Statute 49:316.1, your license renewal will include a Service Charge for electronic commerce.
What is the website for Louisiana DMV?
Start at DMVUSA.com, and we’ll direct you to the nearest Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles in your location.