The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Maine . If you are a new resident in Maine , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Maine DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Maine DMV appointment?
- Contact the Maine DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Maine DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Maine DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Maine DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Maine driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Maine residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Maine , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Maine driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Maine taking walk-ins?
The Maine DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Maine DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Maine DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Maine DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Maine DMV
The Maine DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Maine DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Maine
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Maine
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Maine , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Maine driving licence or ID card, go to a Maine DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Maine REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Maine .
What to bring to your appointment at the Maine DMV
If you are applying for a Maine driving licence or a Maine traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Maine DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Maine , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Maine DMV Appointments
The Maine DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Maine DMV Appointment.
DMV Maine Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Maine ?
The Maine Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Maine ?
Valid Maine driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Maine ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Maine DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Maine DMV Offices
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
- 120 State Street
- Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
- DMV hours Vermont appointments: Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.
- Email: email
- Phone: 82828-2000
- Toll-free number: 888 99-VERMONT (888998-3766)
Do you need an appointment at BMV in Maine?
The main office of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in Augusta is only available by appointment.
Is the Maine DMV still open?
The branch phone lines are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the branch office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except on legal holidays.
Can I get a Maine state ID online?
Within 2-3 weeks of ordering, identification cards will be mailed. The process of renewing your identity card is the same as renewing your driver’s license, and it can be done online or in person at the BMV.
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
Online appointments are available for the following services: North Carolina REAL ID. License extension. duplicate/replacement driver’s license
Where do I get a Maine drivers license?
Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles: (207) 624-9000 or BMV Online Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles Branch Office Find the BMV office that is closest to you. Applications and Forms: Time is money at the BMV. First, download the forms.
What do you need to register a vehicle in Maine?
- The dealer’s bill of sale or sales agreement.
- application with blue title (if the vehicle is a 1995 model year or newer)
- Proof of insurance (ID card, policy or binder)
- Copy of registration application in white and yellow, as well as excise tax receipt (from town office)
What documents do I need to renew my license in Maine?
Your current driver’s license, one evidence of residency, and proof of lawful presence in the United States will all be required. Utility bills with your name and current address are acceptable proof of residency documents accepted by the Maine DMV.
What do I need to get my Maine driver’s license?
- Please show proof that you live in Maine.
- Show proof of citizenship or legal status in the United States (legal presence)
- Provide two forms of identification, one of which must include your date of birth and the other your written signature.
- Perform an eyesight examination.
How do I make an appointment at the Maine BMV?
On the right side, select Available Services or Online Services.
You will be able to make your appointment at BMV Maine as well as access programs, services, and resources online.
Do you need an appointment for the DMV in Maine?
Maine DMV driver’s license offices are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., except on federal holidays. There is no need to book an appointment, however you can if you want to save time while renewing in person.