The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Georgia . If you are a new resident in Georgia , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Georgia DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Georgia DMV appointment?
- Contact the Georgia DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Georgia DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Georgia DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Georgia DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Georgia driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Georgia residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Georgia , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Georgia driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Georgia taking walk-ins?
The Georgia DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Georgia DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Georgia DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Georgia DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Georgia DMV
The Georgia DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Georgia DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Georgia
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Georgia
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Georgia , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Georgia driving licence or ID card, go to a Georgia DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Georgia REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Georgia .
What to bring to your appointment at the Georgia DMV
If you are applying for a Georgia driving licence or a Georgia traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Georgia DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Georgia , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Georgia DMV Appointments
The Georgia DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Georgia DMV Appointment.
DMV Georgia Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Georgia ?
The Georgia Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Georgia ?
Valid Georgia driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Georgia ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Georgia DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Georgia DMV Offices
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
- 120 State Street
- Montpelier, VT 05603-0001
- DMV hours Vermont appointments: Monday through Friday from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.
- Email: email
- Phone: 82828-2000
- Toll-free number: 888 99-VERMONT (888998-3766)
Does Georgia DMV accept walk ins?
Walk-ins are not permitted; you must make an appointment for a driving test and meet the prerequisites.
Can I apply for a Georgia license online?
Your new license will be mailed to you within 7 days after you pay the $32 charge via card. Alternatively, you can go to a DDC customer care center.
Can I go to any DDS in Georgia?
You are welcome to visit any Customer Service Center (CSC). Many of our services are available through our Online Services or the DDS 2 GO Mobile App.
How do I get a GA Drivers License?
Georgia driver’s license requirements include: 17-Year-Old New Motorists: All 17-year-old applicants must have completed at least 40 hours of supervised driving, including at least 6 hours at night. Applicants must get a minimum score of 75% on the road test skills test. A parent or guardian must accompany the child.
What documents do I need for a Georgia drivers license?
1 document: Identity proof (passport, birth certificate, etc.) 1 document: A copy of your social security card (social security card, W-2, etc.) 2 documents: proof of residence and identification (utility bill, financial statement, etc.) Proof of US citizenship (birth certificate) or lawful residency in the US is required.
How long do I have to register my car in Georgia?
Residents of Georgia who purchase a vehicle from someone else must register it within 7 business days of the transaction date. Residents of Georgia who buy an automobile from a dealer have 30 days from the date of purchase to register it.
How much does it cost to register an out-of-state vehicle in Georgia?
Form T-22B A Georgia law enforcement officer completed the certification of inspection. Out-of-state registration (tag receipt) from the proper out-of-state agency is required.
- $20.00 license plate fee.
- $18.00 title fee.
- Title Ad Valorem Tax.
- Any penalties due.
How do you prove residency in Georgia?
Show proof of residency documents (a recent bank statement, utility bill, or lease or a letter from an employer on company letterhead with your current name and address).