The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is the agency responsible for processing driving licences, vehicle-related procedures and related processes in the state of Hawaii . If you are a new resident in Hawaii , you will need to be aware of some of the processes and procedures necessary to get your vehicle documentation in order, as well as the driver’s own.
You can make an appointment with the Hawaii DMV online, over the phone, or in person at an office near you.
How do I book a Hawaii DMV appointment?
- Contact the Hawaii DMV at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose from online services, driver’s license/ID, vehicle registration, or schedule an appointment.
- You can make an appointment, take a test, renew your driving licence or ID, request a duplicate, modification or payment.
- You can also check opening hours and access phone numbers.
- At some Hawaii DMV offices appointments will be available in person, at others via telephone services.
The Hawaii DMV has an appointment system for certain required in-person transactions that cannot be made online, by phone, or by mail.
Step-by-Step Guide to Hawaii DMV Appointments
- Going to the DMV. Always make an appointment before you go to the DMV. You can make an appointment on the DMV website, by calling 1-(800)-777-0133, or by using the DMV NOW app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Fill out a DL Form 44. This is the same form that all Hawaii driver’s license applicants use. Please do not enter any false information on this form. If you do not have the requested information, such as a valid social security number, leave this section blank. Provide all information requested.
- Pay the $33 application fee. Pay this money directly to the DMV while you are in the office. This is the only fee for the driving licence.
- Verify your identity and Hawaii residency. For more information about verifying your identity and residency in Hawaii , visit our FAQ page.
- Provide your fingerprints. Remember: DMV will not open an investigation into your immigration status. If you are already being investigated by
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), talk to a reputable attorney before applying for an AB 60 driving licence.
- Take a photo.
- Go through an eye exam. If you need glasses or contact lenses to see clearly, you must wear them while driving.
- Pass a written test. To help you pass the written test, take our free online course (currently only available in Spanish) and our free printable practice tests.
- Get your driving licence. An instructor’s license ONLY allows you to drive a vehicle IF the passenger seat is occupied by a person 18 years of age or older with a valid Hawaii driving licence. If you already have a driving licence, you can practice driving with a licensed adult driver until you feel confident to take and pass the driving test.
Is DMV in Hawaii taking walk-ins?
The Hawaii DMV will expand its Customer Service Center to include both appointments and walk-ins Monday through Friday. Here’s what you can expect before your next visit: Appointments and walk-ins will be available Monday through Friday, please check in advance by calling the Customer Service number to speak with a representative.
Best times to make an appointment with the Hawaii DMV
Here are some tips on the best times to visit the Hawaii DMV.
- Afternoons tend to be busier than mornings.
- Wait times are usually shorter in the middle of the week than on Mondays and Fridays.
- The Hawaii DMV office begins its lunch break around noon, leaving fewer employees. If possible, try to avoid the lunch hour.
- Make sure you have enough time to complete your paperwork, especially if you are getting your license or taking your driving test.
What to do at the Hawaii DMV
The Hawaii DMV is increasingly offering online services, so you can get things done without having to make an appointment at a physical office. You can renew your vehicle registration, change your driving licence, and much more online.
Here are some of the services you can perform at the Hawaii DMV from online appointments.
Real ID in Hawaii
Under the Real ID Act of 2005, each state has minimum security standards for the issuance and production of driver’s licenses and identification cards.
As of May 3, 2023, everyone will be required to carry a REAL ID card to enter certain federal buildings, access nuclear facilities, and board commercial flights within the United States.
REAL ID card requirements in Hawaii
- To obtain a REAL ID card in Hawaii , you can renew your driving licence or ID card online to obtain a new REAL ID card.
- If you have not previously obtained a Hawaii driving licence or ID card, go to a Hawaii DMV office.
- To apply for a REAL ID card, you will need to present an identification document that includes your date of birth and your real full name (Passport, birth certificate, address card, receipt).
- Make an appointment at a DMV service centre to obtain a Hawaii REAL ID card.
Steps to obtain a genuine identity document
- Gather the documents you will need to apply for a REAL ID.
- Complete the online application and upload your documents.
- Make sure you have saved the confirmation code.
- Go to a DMV office, keeping in mind the estimated capacity.
- Take the application confirmation code with you and process your REAL ID in Hawaii .
What to bring to your appointment at the Hawaii DMV
If you are applying for a Hawaii driving licence or a Hawaii traveler’s permit (REAL ID equivalent to a driver’s license or identification card), you will need to bring some documents to your Hawaii DMV appointment. If you bring all of your documents, the visit will be quicker and less hassle. Documents include:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful presence, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Proof of your Social Security number, such as a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents proving your residency in Hawaii , such as a utility bill or a lease.
All documents must be originals and must be stamped if necessary. If you have already submitted some documents when you apply for an appointment online, you will need to bring primarily an ID or a driver’s licence, depending on the procedure you are performing.
Hawaii DMV Appointments
The Hawaii DMV has an online appointment system that makes it easy to schedule appointments for many services. Making an appointment at a DMV office is a good way to reduce waiting time: Hawaii DMV Appointment.
DMV Hawaii Driver’s License
Identification (ID) cards, like driving licences, are used to prove your identity or age, but they do not allow you to operate a motor vehicle.
To apply for an ID card, you must first fill out a driver license (DL) or ID card application and/or go to a DMV office to provide all the necessary documents and information.
Can I go to the DMV without an appointment Hawaii ?
The Hawaii Department of Motor Vehicles stated Monday that beginning March 2, all 75 of its service locations will accept appointments and walk-ins. According to the department, walk-ins will be accepted on Saturdays.
What do I need to bring to my DMV appointment Hawaii ?
Valid Hawaii driver’s license, recent utility bills, mortgage statement, or rental lease agreements with current residential street address rather than a P.O. Box. Sensitive financial information can be redacted (blacked out/whited out).
Can I make an appointment at the DMV?
At some DMV offices, you can make a reservation. Make sure you have everything you need to attend the DMV before making a reservation. We may not be able to assist you with your transaction if you do not have the relevant documentation. All available spaces are full while the reservation system indicates no reservations.
Can I register my car online in Hawaii ?
Your vehicle registration can be renewed online, over the phone, or by mail. Whenever you operate the vehicle, keep the registration card with you. Two license plates, two decals with the expiration date, and a registration card will be issued by the DMV.
How do I cancel my Hawaii DMV appointment?
If you have any questions, DMV officials suggest calling their customer service department at (804) 497-7100.
DMV Appointments Online
Hawaii DMV Offices
- Call (808) 768-9100 for questions about your driver’s license.
- Please phone (808) 768-4325 for motor vehicle questions.
- DMV Colorado Offices: dmv.colorado.gov/driver-license-office-locations
Do you need an appointment for the DMV in Hawaii?
Appointments are required for all driver license and state identification services. Customers are asked to bring all essential documents and complete the application form ahead of time to ensure a successful visit.
Is the DMV taking walk ins Hawaii?
Renewals are being accepted at the Hilo and Kona Driver License Offices. Priority is given to those having appointments. All other offices will be available exclusively by appointment. Renewal services are available in the Kapalama, Kapolei, Koolau, and Waianae Driver Licensing Centers from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
How do I make an appointment at the Hawaii State ID?
Online State ID applicants who have not yet set an appointment should do so now by going to http://stateid.ehawaii.gov and selecting the «schedule or reschedule appointment» option at the top of the page.
How do I renew my drivers license in Hawaii?
- Fill out and print a driver license application (please remember to bring it with you);
- Present the original or certified copy of the document(s) as confirmation of your identity and date of birth;
- Proof of Social Security Number is required;
- For proof of legal presence, present the original or certified copy of the document(s).
- Present two (2) documents to prove your address (If your post office box is your mailing address, you must also bring in a document with your physical address listed)
- Complete and pass an eye exam;
- On the National Driver Registry, you must have a clean driving record.
How long do you have to renew your drivers license after it expires in Hawaii?
In Hawaii, how do I renew my driver’s license? You have up to six months before your license expires to renew it. You have 90 days following the expiration date to renew, after which you will be charged a $5 reactivation cost for every 30 days you go past the expiration date.
Can I register my car online in Hawaii?
Visit Honolulu’s Online Vehicle Registration Renewal System for more information and to renew your vehicle registration online. For online registration renewals, only credit and debit cards are accepted.